We live in a world where nothing is more precious than the data. Be it corporate data or personal; many people go extra miles to keep it private and protected. From online banking to communicating with co-workers almost every day. We are now frequently sending out data and getting them on our computers and mobiles. It’s very much important to find means of securing our digital world, and for this purpose, VPNs have become increasingly popular.
You may want to see, VPN Guide – Everything a Beginner Needs to Know About VPN
To this end, today, we thought to come up with something that can help you understand about VPN technology, answers your queries related to VPN and its use and recommend you some best VPN services to date.
So, follow us till the end of this article, to learn how this technology works, why do you need to get a VPN and what are those best VPN services that can help you make most out of this technology.
5 Best VPN Services for 2019
#1 NordVPN (3.49$/month)
Number of servers: 3500+ | Server locations: 60+ | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 6
NordVPN is a Panama based VPN service provider. Hence, it is free of the U.S and the European countries jurisdictions. Due to it, the users can enjoy anonymous networking with its No Log Policy. Double encryption, a variety of protocol support, excellent customer support makes it one of the best VPN in the market. Most noteworthy, the pricing plans are quiet on the nominal side and worth the services provided.
- Six simultaneous connections
- A variety of platform support
- Double encryption for added security
- Excellent customer support
- Automatic kill switch
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 3-Day free trial
- Unique selling proposition is that it offers hassle-free installation even for new users
Avail 70% Discount
#2 ExpressVPN (8.32$/month)
Number of servers: 1800+ | Server locations: 148 | IP addresses: 30,000 | Maximum devices supported: 3
ExpressVPN has become the market leader in the VPN industry. With its supreme quality VPN performance during past seven years. Therefore, it attracted and retained millions of users and enhanced customer loyalty. All due to services that are beyond comparison. That is the reason it sits at the top position in our VPN table. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands. Which keeps it away from the Data Retention policies enforced by NSA, GCHQ.
- Unlimited Bandwidth with Ultra Speed
- Dedicated VPN Apps for Android & iOS
- Provides all VPN protocols OpenVPN (TCP, UDP), L2TP-IPsec, SSTP, and PPTP
- High-End Security with OpenVPN 256-bits
- Zero log keeping policy of internet activities
- 30-Days Money-Back Guarantee
- 3 Simultaneous-login Option
- Dedicated VPN App for Router
Avail 35% Discount
#3 Surfshark VPN (1.91$/month)
Number of servers: 500+ | Server locations: 50 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: Unlimited
Surfshark VPN is ahead of the curve in technological advancement. Surfshark VPN will ensure online privacy for your whole family – simple and intuitive on the outside with a robust security mechanism inside.
- No Logging Policy
- 500 Plus Servers Spread in over 50 Countries
- 24 x 7 Customer Service Support
- P2P Torrenting Support Available
- AES 256-Bit Network Encryption
- Comes with Zero Logging Policy
- Chrome Extension Available
- Kill-Switch functionality
Avail 84% Discount
#4 Private Internet Access (3.33$/month)
Number of servers: 3339+ | Server locations: 36 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 5
Private Internet Access service provides you unbeatable internet security and privacy. It is due to its sustainable and specialized security barrier based on several layers. Hence, For an end to end protection with its amazing features. That includes; Anonymous IP, high-grade encryption. That is based on cryptographically secure Blowfish CBC algorithm.
- Zero VPN Traffic Logs
- Encrypted Wi-Fi Protection
- Offers all Protocols PPTP, OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec including SOCKS5 Proxy
- 7-days Money-Back Guarantee
- IPv6 Leak Protection & DNS Leak Protection
- The Internet Kill Switch
- P2P file sharing & VoIP Support
- Support for VPN router including DD-WRT Tomato & PfSense
- Speed Test options for all Servers
Avail 67% Discount
#5 Ivacy (2.25$/month)
Number of servers: 450+ | Server locations: 100+ | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 5
Ivacy VPN was established in 2007 and gained popularity. It is due to its dedication towards providing outstanding and unique security and privacy features. Hence, when in 2010 it launched Split Tunneling feature. It became the first VPN company to provide such VPN feature.
- 100% Private & Anonymous internet Surfing
- High-end 256-bit Encryption for Optimum Privacy Shelter
- Automatic VPN Security over public Wi-Fi networks
- Convenient & Fast access to Restricted or blocked content
- OpenVPN (TCP, UDP), L2TP-IPsec, and PPTP protocols
- 7-days Money-back guarantee
- Dedicated Apps available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and more
Avail 77% Discount
What Is a VPN?
A virtual private network (VPN) is a technology that enables you to build a secure connection over a less-secure network between your device and the internet. It shields your online privacy by letting you appear to be anywhere you want anonymously.
A VPN is useful because it assures a suitable level of security and privacy to the connected devices. This is remarkably useful when the present network infrastructure alone fail to support it.
For instance, when your device is connected to a VPN; the computer works as if it’s also on the corresponding network as the VPN tool. All of your online data traffic is carried over a secure connection of VPN. The device will then act as if it’s on that particular network, letting you securely get access to local network websites. Irrespective of your original location, you’ll be granted permission to use the web as if you were located at the VPN’s location in real. This can be hugely beneficial for people using a public Wi-Fi.
Do check out, Does a VPN Protect You Against a Computer Virus?
Hence, when you browse the web while being on a VPN; your computer will contact the site through an encrypted VPN connection. The VPN connection will then forward your request and send the response from the site back via a secure and encrypted connection.
VPN comes user-friendly in real means, and they are rated to be highly useful tools. They can be used to do a broad range of tasks. The most common types of VPN are remote-access VPN and site-to-site VPN.
A remote-access VPN employs public infrastructure like the internet infrastructure to give remote users secure access to their network. This is especially critical for organizations and their corporate internet networks. It’s essential when workers connect to a public hotspot and utilize the internet for posting work-related emails. A VPN client, on the user’s device, connects to the VPN gateway on the business’s network. This gateway will typically need the device to verify its identity. It will then build a network link back to the system that enables it to reach the internal network resources such as file servers, intranets, and printers as if it were on the very local network.
It ordinarily relies on either Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) or Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to guard the connection. However, SSL VPN can also be employed to provide secure access to a particular application; rather than an entire internal network. Some VPNs also implement Layer 2 access to the targeted network; these will need a tunneling protocol like PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol) or L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol) working across the first IPsec connection.
For more details you can read, Understanding VPN Tunnels – A Guide to Setup VPN Tunnels
This is when a VPN employs a gateway device to connect to the whole network in individual location to the network in a different location. The preponderance of site-to-site VPNs that connect over the web uses IPsec. Rather than utilizing the public internet, it is also common to use career multi-protocol label switching (MPLS) clouds as the primary transport for site-to-site VPN.
VPNs are usually defined between particular devices, and in most events, they are servers in different data centers. Though, new hybrid-access conditions have now changed the VPN gateway in the cloud, typically with a secure link from the cloud provider into the internal network.
Do check out, What Does That VPN Error Code Mean?
A typical VPN can influence the user experience when connected to wireless devices. It’s amplest to use a mobile VPN to evade slower speeds and data failure. A mobile VPN gives you a high level of security for the trials of wireless connection. It can render mobile devices with secure access to network devices and software apps on their wireless networks. It’s safe to use when you’re suffering coverage gaps, inter-network roaming, bandwidth problems, or insufficient battery life, memory issue or processing speed.
Mobile VPN is devised and optimized to assure a seamless user experience when systems are switching networks or going out of coverage. It usually has a smaller memory footprint, and because of that, it also needs less processing power than a conventional VPN. Hence, it allows your applications to run faster while the battery life becomes to last longer.
Also check out, How to Encrypt your Android Phone (a Complete Guide)
Who needs a VPN?
People who access the internet from a PC, tablet or smartphone will get benefits from using a VPN. A VPN will always increase your security by encrypting and anonymizing all of the online activity. Accordingly, both private and business users can avail great services from a VPN. Conversations that occur between the VPN server and your system are encrypted, so any cyber-crook or site following you wouldn’t comprehend which web pages you visit. They also won’t be able to detect private information like passwords, usernames, and financial accounts details and much more. Anybody who wants to preserve their privacy and security online should is advised to use a VPN.
How to choose the Best VPN Service?
There is a wide range of VPN services on the internet. Some are free, but the best VPN services need a monthly subscription. Before you choose to download a VPN client, be sure you examine these factors for analyzing a VPN:
Cost – VPNs are not too costly, but they differ from vendor to vendor. If your primary concern is cost, then go with something cheap(also see,5 Best Cheap VPN Services). We advise not to try free VPNs because they do have some disadvantages since they draw a lot of users. Free servers are usually slower, and since most are full of ads. Others can even restrict the speed of your connection; as well as your web time or how much data you transfer.
It is also significant to note that the leading VPNs such as NordVPN and Privacy Internet Access offer stronger security features to ensure you’re digitally safe. When choosing a paid VPN service, always make sure to check which countries it runs servers in.
Reliability – Choose a VPN that is reliable and see the reviews to be sure that it’s proficient of protecting you by giving you with sufficient online privacy.
High security – A good VPN will have the below mentioned security features: anonymous DNS servers, 128-bit encryption, and no connection logs.
Are there any bandwidth throttling?
This can usually be associated with price; spending more will generally render more bandwidth with faster internet speed.
Are apps for Android, iOS and tablets available?
VPN apps for Android and iOS phones are also exposed, so be sure your VPN offers support for them.
To ensure online privacy, you need to make sure you have a VPN that doesn’t collect online logs. Some VPN servers implement virus and spyware protection, and offer features like that can significantly improve your online security.
Utilizing a no-logs VPN will give you with a higher level of security. It can shield you from government surveillance and stop your internet service provider from watching your online activity.
If this fails to make your mind, you can also check out VPN Buying Guide
Best VPN Services Speed and Performance
A lot of people are questioning how to achieve the best VPN speed and overall best performance. If you’re using an excellent VPN service, then you really shouldn’t notice a considerable reduction in the speed with random browsing.
Of course, the extra work that conforms into the encrypting/decrypting your data traffic across the VPN servers will affect speed, but usually, it’s not noticeable.
For optimizing your VPN speed and attain better performance, here are some considerations:
- Internet service provider interference – Some Internet providers middle or throttle the VPN connections. This looks to be a growing obstacle in some parts of the world. Solution: utilize a VPN with obfuscation, which will hide the VPN traffic as HTTPS.
- High latency – You can usually expect delayed speeds when you connect to servers further from your location. Using multi-hop VPN configurations will also increase latency and slow things down. Solution: Use servers closer to your location. If you utilize a multi-hop VPN chain, then select nearby servers to minimize latency.
- Server congestion – Some of the more substantial VPN services oversell their servers, resulting in overcrowding, minimum bandwidth, disrupted connections, and also slow speeds. All of the recommended VPNs on this page have actually performed well in testing and offer sufficient bandwidth for reliable performance.
- Antivirus or firewall software – Antivirus and third-party firewall software may intervene and slow down VPN speed. Some software will execute their firewall on top of the default (operating system) firewall, which automatically slows everything down. Solution: Turn off the third-party firewall, or add an exception/rule for the VPN software.
- WiFi interference – WiFi interference issues are irrelevant to the VPN, but it can make a difference in your overall VPN speed. Solution: It may not be handy, but using a wired (Ethernet) internet connection will increase speed and security.
- Processing power – Various devices don’t do well with the more processing power that is required for VPN encryption/decryption. This is particularly the case with back-dated computers, most routers, and few mobile devices. Solution: Switch devices or upgrade to a high-speed processor (higher CPU).
- Network setup – Some networks do not work well with particular VPN protocols. Solution: The best way is to try different VPN protocols and ports (OpenVPN UDP / TCP / ECC / XOR, IPSec, etc.).
Some VPNs also let you modify MTU size, which may increase speed.
To achieve the best VPN speed possible, it is a good idea to try the different variables.
Assuming the VPN servers are not encumbered with users, the two main approaches to optimize VPN performance are picking a nearby server with low latency and choosing the right protocol. As discussed above, the best protocol may diversify depending on your unusual situation.
Access Netflix And Other Blocked Services With the Best VPN Service
Online streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu have been giving hard time to the foreign users in accessing their content from other countries. Various people can work around region restrictions by employing a VPN to route their data traffic through another country. Also see, 5 Best VPN for Netflix – Watch Netflix from anywhere
It can be pretty simple to access Netflix and other restricted goodies. All you have to do is to use a VPN that enables you to get a different IP address. This can usually be available for an extra fee. Look for VPNs that offer a “dedicated IP address“, “dedicated IP“, or “static IP.” Extra features like these will always enable you to watch content from Netflix with the help of a VPN.
This is by far the simplest way to unblock your forbidden apps since there is no particular way to block VPN data traffic. Read 5 Best VPN for Hulu
Most of the people began using a VPN to circumvent geo-restrictions. But in addition to its unblocking benefit for the users outside the US; a VPN is a great tool that can also protect you and improve your online experience over the web by equipping you with adequate security and privacy.
Conclusion -5 Best VPN Services
When it comes to choosing the best VPN, you have plenty of options. There are numerous cost-effective VPN choices, and all of them will change in monthly offerings. Picking the best VPN service is simpler once you narrow down the competition. The best sign of a good VPN service provider is that they have the appropriate security and the apt support in place for you.