Plex media server holds the position of a leading video platform that provides entertainment demands of viewers around the globe. If you’re vehement to see videos; access favorite channels and stream movies from remote devices safely, then Plex VPN is your go-to solution.
Why Plex VPN?
To watch media content securely on Plex, and air all over the globe without any problem you need a Plex VPN. After reading this guide, you will discover how to use Plex VPN and avail on-demand entertainment services with zero limitations.
Best Plex VPNs
Many video-streaming services such as BBC iPlayer, ESPN, HBO Now, NBC, USTV Now, BeIN Sports are geo-restricted outside of their country. This is because of the content sharing & licensing agreement with partners. (also read, How to Watch Star Trek Discovery Online From Anywhere)
To unblock such leading-edge broadcasting channels on Plex, users need a Plex VPN. You can choose from one of the recommended Plex VPN services below:
5 Best VPN for Plex
#1 NordVPN (3.49$/month)
Number of servers: 3500+ | Server locations: 60+ | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 6
NordVPN is a Panama based VPN service provider. Hence, it is free of the U.S and the European countries jurisdictions. Due to it, the users can enjoy anonymous networking with its No Log Policy. Double encryption, a variety of protocol support, excellent customer support makes it one of the best VPN in the market. Most noteworthy, the pricing plans are quiet on the nominal side and worth the services provided.
- Six simultaneous connections
- A variety of platform support
- Double encryption for added security
- Excellent customer support
- Automatic kill switch
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 3-Day free trial
- Unique selling proposition is that it offers hassle-free installation even for new users
Avail 70% Discount
#2 ExpressVPN (8.32$/month)
Number of servers: 1800+ | Server locations: 148 | IP addresses: 30,000 | Maximum devices supported: 3
ExpressVPN has become the market leader in the VPN industry. With its supreme quality VPN performance during past seven years. Therefore, it attracted and retained millions of users and enhanced customer loyalty. All due to services that are beyond comparison. That is the reason it sits at the top position in our VPN table. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands. Which keeps it away from the Data Retention policies enforced by NSA, GCHQ.
- Unlimited Bandwidth with Ultra Speed
- Dedicated VPN Apps for Android & iOS
- Provides all VPN protocols OpenVPN (TCP, UDP), L2TP-IPsec, SSTP, and PPTP
- High-End Security with OpenVPN 256-bits
- Zero log keeping policy of internet activities
- 30-Days Money-Back Guarantee
- 3 Simultaneous-login Option
- Dedicated VPN App for Router
Avail 35% Discount
#3 Surfshark VPN (1.99$/month)
Number of servers: 500+ | Server locations: 50 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: Unlimited
Surfshark VPN is ahead of the curve in technological advancement. Surfshark VPN will ensure online privacy for your whole family – simple and intuitive on the outside with a robust security mechanism inside.
- No Logging Policy
- 500 Plus Servers Spread in over 50 Countries
- 24 x 7 Customer Service Support
- P2P Torrenting Support Available
- AES 256-Bit Network Encryption
- Comes with Zero Logging Policy
- Chrome Extension Available
- Kill-Switch functionality
Avail 83% Discount
#4 Private Internet Access (3.33$/month)
Number of servers: 3339+ | Server locations: 36 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 5
Private Internet Access service provides you unbeatable internet security and privacy. It is due to its sustainable and specialized security barrier based on several layers. Hence, For an end to end protection with its amazing features. That includes; Anonymous IP, high-grade encryption. That is based on cryptographically secure Blowfish CBC algorithm.
- Zero VPN Traffic Logs
- Encrypted Wi-Fi Protection
- Offers all Protocols PPTP, OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec including SOCKS5 Proxy
- 7-days Money-Back Guarantee
- IPv6 Leak Protection & DNS Leak Protection
- The Internet Kill Switch
- P2P file sharing & VoIP Support
- Support for VPN router including DD-WRT Tomato & PfSense
- Speed Test options for all Servers
Avail 67% Discount
#5 Ivacy (2.25$/month)
Number of servers: 450+ | Server locations: 100+ | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 5
Ivacy VPN was established in 2007 and gained popularity. It is due to its dedication towards providing outstanding and unique security and privacy features. Hence, when in 2010 it launched Split Tunneling feature. It became the first VPN company to provide such VPN feature.
- 100% Private & Anonymous internet Surfing
- High-end 256-bit Encryption for Optimum Privacy Shelter
- Automatic VPN Security over public Wi-Fi networks
- Convenient & Fast access to Restricted or blocked content
- OpenVPN (TCP, UDP), L2TP-IPsec, and PPTP protocols
- 7-days Money-back guarantee
- Dedicated Apps available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and more
Avail 77% Discount
Evade Geo Restriction On Plex Via A VPN
In an experiment, we attempted to access CBS on Plex from the outside USA. However, we were instantly implied with following error message:
After connecting to the US server of a VPN:
As soon as we connected to the US server of Plex VPN; we gained immediate access to CBS. Also, we streamed CBS 60 Minutes with no pauses or buffering.
Moreover, we recommend viewers prefer a VPN that proposes an abundance of servers to circumvent network bottlenecks. That said, Plex VPN services named above offer numbers of servers scattered across central regions of the world. They will guarantee a cutting-edge streaming experience to contributors while they access Plex through VPN.
Why Do You Need Plex VPN?
Nothing is more gratifying than seeing favorite channels on a wonderful video-platform. However, with freemium services like Plex come to some restrictions. To circumvent such limitations securely, subscribers find Plex VPN as a proper and cost-effective solution. (also check, How to Watch French TV Outside France)
Benefits of using Plex VPN
Advantages that you obtain by using VPN and Plex together:
- One-touch access to top-rated channels (ESPN, CBS, Fox GO, HBO Now & more)
- Bypass geo-blockings inflicted on exclusive TV shows (House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black and much more)
- Evade state-sponsored censorships
- Get rid of ISP bandwidth throttling and obtain high-speed media streaming
- High security against cyber perils when accessing untested and beta plugin
In addition to this, Plex VPN serves as a gateway to the world of an on-demand movie with zero barriers and restrictions. For years, streaming aficionadi had to arbitrate on favorite shows, due to the forced geo-blocks.
But with the perfect union of Plex and VPN, viewers have a chance to endure the leading-edge entertainment services without restrictions. (also see, Best Kodi Builds for Krypton 17 in 2017 and How to Install These)
How to Use Plex With VPN
Plex VPN configuration is an easy four-step method that doesn’t need any manual configuration. To start using Plex with VPN, pick from one of the named Plex VPN services, download, and install its software on your device. Upon complete installation, follow the steps below.
- Access the VPN and snap on the settings icon found at top right corner of the window.
- In settings, type-in your credentials
- Now, click on Dashboard from the left pane and choose the location of United States.
- Finally, click connect!
Once connected successfully, you will be capable of enjoying hours of non-stop entertainment on Plex without bothering about geo-restrictions. Also, fast streaming, secure connection, and restriction-free access are the combined advantage of using Plex VPN.
VPN Bypass for Plex Media Server
A VPN is beneficial in various conditions, but can also have its shortcomings. One of the difficulties linked with a VPN over Plex is its problem of fetching content while streaming. It seeks to route the data via the VPN IP address rather than your original IP address. However, you can readily avoid this issue.
Thankfulness to XFlak, one of the users on Plex forum, you can remotely access content even outdoing a VPN connection. He made a script and uploaded on Plex panels so that you can circumvent VPN to access Plex Media Server. Just download the batch file and follow the steps below. (the following steps for Windows 7 or higher):
Launch Run menu on Windows (press Windows key + R)
- Enter ‘Taskschd.msc’ in the run command
- Click ‘Create Task’
- Name the task and click ‘Ok.’
- Now head over to ‘Triggers’ tab and click ‘New.’
- Under the ‘Begin the task’ drop-down menu, select ‘At startup.’
- Also, choose the checkbox of ‘Repeat task every 1 hour’ and pick the duration to ‘Indefinitely.’
- Now move to ‘Action’ tab and click ‘New.’
- Browse to where you downloaded the batch file, select the file, and hit ‘Ok.’
- When you see the file under the ‘Actions’ tab, click ‘Ok.’
- Access Plex Media Server behind a VPN!
Plex Remote Access VPN
To remotely access VPN with Plex, you have two possibilities. The method illustrated in the section ‘Plex VPN Bypass for Plex Media Server’ should also enable you to access Plex remotely. Just be sure that on your router, the port is forwarded to ‘32400’, identical internal port as Plex Server.
On the other hand, you can also remotely access Plex by using a VPN GUI. To do this, here is a step-by-step guide:
- Download a VPN software
- Install the VPN GUI on your system
- Also, download the OpenVPN config file from your VPN provider’s website
- Load the OpenVPN config files to VPN software and .’ your VPN
- Now configure your router for port forwarding to your Windows machine
- Also, designate another port for Plex through the server settings
- Once this is done, you should view a green checkmark under Plex Remote Access VPN settings.
How to Use Plex with OpenVPN
Plex can be connected to a VPN once Remote Access is permitted. You can use any VPN provider as long as you are using OpenVPN.
This method does not go through Port-forwarding so make sure your Plex does connect when VPN is not running.
Step 1: On your Windows, search for Command Prompt > Run the following command ipconfig | find “Default Gateway” and hit Enter > Note the IP Address as this is your Gateway.
For OSX users run the following command netstat -nr | grep ‘^default’ > Note your IP Address as this is your Gateway
Step 2: Now this step will be similar for all users. Run the following command nslookup my.plexapp.com and note all the IP addresses that appear on your screen.
Step 3: Now append all the numbers in a format described below:
route [Plex addresses] 255.255.255.255 [Your Gateway] Just like the following for my IP:
route 126.96.36.199 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 188.8.131.52 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 184.108.40.206 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 220.127.116.11 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 18.104.22.168 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
route 22.214.171.124 255.255.255.255 192.168.65.1
Step 4: Now you require to add these addresses to the OpenVPN Configuration file. Then you require to restart your connection and also, try connecting Plex to remote access. Consider changing the manual port to 32400 and click on Apply.
Step 5: Plex would need Port Forwarding before it can support VPN to bypass. Since you’re assigned to random ports, it can complex situation. You may need a normal router or a Firewall for the VPN to circumvent.
How to Add Channels on Plex
For adding channels into your Plex, there is a requirement for installing Plex Plugins for a special channel. For example, if you want to add MTV channel you need an MTV Plex Plugin. Follow the steps highlighted below:
Step 1: Github Plex Plug-ins
Step 2: Locate and Click on MTV Plex Pugin
Next, Step 3: Click on ‘Clone or Download’ option > Then click on Download Zip.
Step 4: Save the file > Right click on the file and select Extract Here
Step 5: A new folder will appear > Change the name of the folder, i.e., MTV-Music-Videos.bundle-master to MTV-Music-Videos.bundle thereby removing ‘-master.’
Step 6: Now copy the same folder
Next, Step 7: Now open Plex Plug-ins Folder and paste the MTV Plex Plugin (extracted folder)
Step 8: Open Plex Media Server > Go to Channels option > Here you will observe your MTV Channel arrive on the screen.
These platforms cover Windows, Mac OS X, Linux (Desktop); iOS, Android, Windows Phone (Mobile), Android TV, Roku, Chromecast, Xbox, PlayStation (Others). (also read, How to Watch Stranger Things 2 Online?)
You can avail both free and paid version; the paid version will cost you only $ 4.99/month with added features.
In this guide, we have uncovered how to access Plex through VPN; why should you access Plex with VPN and the advantages of using Plex and VPN. With that said, you’re all free to search internet like never before. Make sure to leave us a comment about your views or question us any query that you might have about Plex VPN!