Since WhatsApp is blocked in China, it has caused a great problem to all the expats in living China. So, if you are one of them or you are planning to travel China; then you must be finding ways to unblock WhatsApp in China. To that end, we present you this guide to help you unblock WhatsApp in China or elsewhere.
Internet censorship in China is nothing new. The Great Firewall of China restricts its citizens from accessing any content that is considered to be inimical to communist party policies. Recently, the center of the Chinese administration has moved slightly, and the nation now obstructs the messaging app WhatsApp.
Until now, WhatsApp was the solely Facebook-owned app that was still accessible in China. Facebook itself and Instagram have both been tackled under contemporary censorship laws for years.
The Chinese government does not care that WhatsApp provides communication; instead, they cannot stand that they are not able to snoop what is being communicated. WhatsApp’s end to end encryption technology means that not even the app’s owners, Facebook, can view conversations, read text messages, or access any files that are sent using the service.
Blocking WhatsApp has by no means been easy for the government, who have had to take a multi-pronged approach which allows them to disrupt different parts of the service before blocking it completely.
Does this mean that the only course of action for those in China is to move to the government-controlled WeChat, where their every conversation can be easily monitored? Certainly not! Still, there are some ways, by which you can unblock Whatsapp in China. And the best one is by using a VPN. So, read the article till the end to learn how to unblock WhatsApp in China using a VPN. (also read, China Bans WhatsApp Messenger)
What’s WhatsApp And Why Is It So Famous?
WhatsApp has become the most popular messaging app in the world. No one can deny that fact.Recent surveys have shown that Whatsapp is, in fact, the most downloaded messaging application on the Android platform.To put it more simply, WhatsApp has become a must-have application for all smartphone users. And for a good reason.The number of fantastic features it offers along with having a user-friendly interface makes WhatsApp a perfect messaging application.But there is another reason why WhatsApp has taken over all other messaging services:
- It doesn’t show you ads.
- It is free.
- WhatsApp is cheaper and faster than standard SMS.
- And the primary reason for that is the company’s stable servers
- With WhatsApp, you can send messages, update your status, change your profile picture, share videos, photos, documents, locations, contacts and much more.
- Its privacy settings are easily accessible, and users have full control over what information they want their contacts to see.
- WhatsApp is the most popular “secure” messaging application in the world. Not in China though. Not anymore.
- WhatsApp also allows users to control what people see about them.
Why Is WhatsApp Blocked In China?
If you are familiar with internet laws around the world, you probably have an idea that China tends to be incredibly strict regarding its cyber issues. The Chinese Government has a long history of limiting or completely blocking access to websites and social networks that are Western-owned. The country has already blocked Instagram, Twitter, Wikipedia, and a variety of Google services. It has also banned the use of WhatsApp several times in the past. However, according to recent news, it seems now the entire service is non-functional. This raises the question: “How to use WhatsApp in China?” Read on to know the answer.(also see, How to Download VPN in China)
There are many reasons as to why China might have made this serious decision. The most vital involve the anticipation of the Communist Party’s congress hosting in Beijing next month.
The country may have taken this action, due to the strong encryption features of the service – which lack in platforms like Apple’s FaceTime and Skype. Since internet laws in China are quite strict and promote the analyzing of private user internet data, it is only wise for the country to block any form of encrypted messaging that can promote political dissidents against the government. Regardless, this is a clear show of power and may dissuade users from using messaging services altogether.
Unblock WhatsApp In China Using A VPN:
If you want to gain access to WhatsApp for sending messages and audio/video, it is a good idea to consider using a VPN service. By connecting to a server located outside China, you can bypass restrictions imposed on using the application. This allows you to use WhatsApp freely, without worrying about the government finding out about it. Since VPNs boast solid encrypting ranging from 128-bit to 256-bit, all your internet traffic will remain secure. Though you have to pay a small price for the VPN, it will definitely be worth – once you regain access to the instant messaging application!
How To Download VPN To Unblock WhatsApp In China?
In order to use WhatsApp, you must download the relevant VPN client for your device. For each of the above VPN providers, simply visit their website and go the applications page. If you are using an Android device, download the .apk file. If you are using an iPhone, download the application for iOS. Another way to download the VPNs for WhatsApp is to visit the Google Play Store or Apple Store.
WhatsApp VPN For Android
Having over 1 billion downloads directly from the Google Play Store, WhatsApp has 800+ active monthly users on Android OS. With end-to-end encryption, users find WhatsApp as a secure solution for HD voice calling and instant messaging. However, restrictions on the use of WhatsApp calls in KSA and UAE and specifically in China, has left fans with no other option except to use a VPN for WhatsApp calling.
That said, here’s how to use a VPN WhatsApp on your Android devices:
- Make an account on VPN provider’s website.
- Now, access Settings from the main menu of your device
- Scroll to More Connection Settings and tap on it
- From More Connection Settings, hit VPN
- A window will appear to Edit VPN Network, enter the details as provided by VPN provider and click Save.
- Next, the freshly created VPN connection will be visible in the list.
- Tap on the newly established connection to connect
- A window will appear, asking you to enter VPN username and password. Enter the required login details as provided by VPN provider and tap on Connect
- Wait few moments till VPN connects. Upon successful connection, enjoy making hours of HD voice calls and send instant messages to your friends & family members from anywhere
VPN WhatsApp For iPhone
Having over one billion active monthly users, iPhone is a hallmark of entertainment, communication, and sophistication around the globe. To instantly get connected to your friends and family members, WhatsApp offers group chats, encrypted communication, free plans, always logged in and Web client for iOS users. However, like Android, similar restrictions on WhatsApp VoIP calls apply to iOS users as well in China, KSA, UAE, and some other nations. (also check, 5 Best VPN For iPhone and iPad 2017)
Here’s how to use VPN for WhatsApp calling on your iOS device:
- Access Settings of your iOS device
- Now, go to General and tap on VPN
- Tap on Add VPN Configuration
- Next, a window will appear to add the configuration. Select PPTP from the top bar and enter login details (server, username, and password) in the fields below as provided by your VPN provider.
- Save the entered login details
- Next, you will be able to see the newly configured VPN connection in the list
- Tap on the lastly made VPN connection to begin
- Once connected successfully, you will be notified and able to make unrestricted high-quality voice calls through WhatsApp from anywhere in the world.
- Wait few moments till VPN connects. Upon successful connection, enjoy making hours of HD voice calls and send instant messages to your friends & family members from anywhere.
What If the WhatsApp Doesn’t Work On VPN In China?
One of the main reasons for VPNs not working is the protocol giving trouble. If you are using a PPTP or L2TP/IPSec connection, chances are you may experience connectivity issues. This may also vary depending on the service you are using and the server connected. The best way to ensure everything works smoothly and you gain unrestricted access to WhatsApp is to connect to the OpenVPN protocol. This ensures you receive top 256-bit AES encryption, which keeps your identity hidden and hence grants access to the app.
Conclusion- How To Unblock WhatsApp In China
To unblock WhatsApp in China, you need to use a VPN service. After that, the process is simple enough. Before you can unblock WhatsApp in China, you must sign up for a VPN service and then change your location to something outside of China. Once the Chinese government knows that you aren’t a user who is within China, WhatsApp will become available to you. Our method is pretty straightforward, fast and simple. If you have any questions, then do let us know in the comment section below.