Best VPN for Kindle Fire: Amazon’s Fire Tablet, previously called the Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD, has been a great hit with users who are seeking for a good-value tablet that they can utilize for reading, watching videos, and doing necessary tasks like email and browsing. The combination with Amazon’s vast library of eBooks, on-demand video, and music stuff makes the Fire an exciting choice for users who like to consume lots of entertainment media.(also see, How to Install Web Browser on Firestick?)
Avail 70% Discount
Best VPN for Kindle Fire- Install a VPN on Your Kindle Fire to Secure it
But, there are some impediments to using a Fire tablet. Because the Fire is connected to your particular Amazon Fire subscription, there are restrictions on how much content you can access. Moreover, there are zone locks on Amazon’s content which implies that some content can only be accessed from specific regions. The good news is that it’s likely to work around these restrictions by using the best VPN for Kindle Fire.
To help you out, let’s take a look at how to set up a VPN using third party OpenVPN for Kindle:
Open VPN Software installation guide for Kindle
If you choose to go for the most complex method of using a VPN on Kindle (because you fancy using a VPN that doesn’t have software on the Amazon App store) then follow the steps below:
- Drag the Kindle notification bar down. Select More followed by Device and turn on “Allow Installation of Applications from unknown sources.”
- Download free ES File Explorer from the Amazon Appstore.
- Now, download the OpenVPN installer to your desktop computer.
- Connect your Kindle to your Windows or Mac using the USB lead, then drag and drop the OpenVPN installer (icsopenvpn0529.apk) to your Kindle’s Downloads folder.
- Start up your Kindle and make use of ES Explorer to drive to the Downloads folder. Tap on the .apk file and install it.
- Subscribe to the best VPN for Kindle Fire.
- Next, configure the OpenVPN software on your Kindle with your VPN’s OpenVPN config files. These files will be provided by your VPN provider. To make them onto your Kindle you will require to download them to a PC, unzip them, and send them to your email address. Open the email on your Kindle and download the .ovpn files. Now you can send them from your downloads folder into the OpenVPN software. Your VPN will have a setup guide to help you with this step!
Side-loading a VPN App onto a Kindle Fire
Amazon users are blocked from accessing the Google Play Store. This severely restricts what they can access on their device. However, the good news is that you can “sideload” these apps onto your Kindle Fire. This includes VPN apps.
To sideload an app follow these steps:
- Before you can sideload any apps, you must prepare your Kindle. To start, swipe down the top navigation bar and click Settings. In the Settings menu look for the Applications menu.
- Enable Apps from unknown sources.
- Open the Apps for Android application and search for ES File Explorer, it is a free app so you can download it for nothing.
- Run ES File Explorer and tap the New button at the bottom to create a new folder. Create a folder called Sideloaded Apps in the root. This is where you will sideload your.APK files.
- Download the APK file for SnapPea (Desktop-to-Android manager ) directly from SnapPea at this link.
- Now use SnapPea to put any other APK files you want to install in the SideLoaded Apps folder that you created earlier.
- You can open the APK files using ES File Explorer, and install them like you would any other file.
For a full guide look here:
To install an app, you already have on another Android device (that you got from the Google App store, for example) simply backup the APK file onto your Fire Stick or Kindle. To do so follow these steps:
- Install App Backup & Restore on your Android device.
- Run the Backup & Restore App and select all the apps that you want to backup from your device for transfer to your Kindle Fire. Or Fire Stick. Press the Backup button at the bottom.
- The APK files will be stored in the directory specified by App Backup (in our case, /storage/sdcard0/App_Backup_Restore/, check the application’s settings to see what your storage directory is). Once you’ve backed them up, mount your device onto your computer via USB and copy them over.
- Now copy those files onto your Kindle or Fire Stick (to the Sideloaded Apps directory you created earlier)
- As before, use ES File Explorer to locate the APK file and install the app.
Installing a VPN on a Router
Getting the best VPN for a DD-WRT router is a much easier way of connecting your Kindle to a VPN server. A VPN flashed router automatically connects all the devices in your home to a VPN server (including your Kindle).
Best VPN for Kindle Fire
The good news is that we have already done a review and trial for you to present you with best VPN for Kindle Fire. So, following are our best VPN for Kindle Fire that you can use to bypass geo-restrictions.
#1 NordVPN (3.49$/month)
Number of servers: 3500+ | Server locations: 60+ | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 6
NordVPN is a Panama based VPN service provider. Hence, it is free of the U.S and the European countries jurisdictions. Due to it, the users can enjoy anonymous networking with its No Log Policy. Double encryption, a variety of protocol support, excellent customer support makes it one of the best VPN in the market. Most noteworthy, the pricing plans are quiet on the nominal side and worth the services provided.
- Six simultaneous connections
- A variety of platform support
- Double encryption for added security
- Excellent customer support
- Automatic kill switch
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 3-Day free trial
- Unique selling proposition is that it offers hassle-free installation even for new users
Avail 70% Discount
#2 ExpressVPN (8.32$/month)
Number of servers: 1800+ | Server locations: 148 | IP addresses: 30,000 | Maximum devices supported: 3
ExpressVPN has become the market leader in the VPN industry. With its supreme quality VPN performance during past seven years. Therefore, it attracted and retained millions of users and enhanced customer loyalty. All due to services that are beyond comparison. That is the reason it sits at the top position in our VPN table. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands. Which keeps it away from the Data Retention policies enforced by NSA, GCHQ.
- Unlimited Bandwidth with Ultra Speed
- Dedicated VPN Apps for Android & iOS
- Provides all VPN protocols OpenVPN (TCP, UDP), L2TP-IPsec, SSTP, and PPTP
- High-End Security with OpenVPN 256-bits
- Zero log keeping policy of internet activities
- 30-Days Money-Back Guarantee
- 3 Simultaneous-login Option
- Dedicated VPN App for Router
Avail 35% Discount
#3 Surfshark VPN (1.99$/month)
Number of servers: 500+ | Server locations: 50 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: Unlimited
Surfshark VPN is ahead of the curve in technological advancement. Surfshark VPN will ensure online privacy for your whole family – simple and intuitive on the outside with a robust security mechanism inside.
- No Logging Policy
- 500 Plus Servers Spread in over 50 Countries
- 24 x 7 Customer Service Support
- P2P Torrenting Support Available
- AES 256-Bit Network Encryption
- Comes with Zero Logging Policy
- Chrome Extension Available
- Kill-Switch functionality
Avail 83% Discount
#4 Private Internet Access (3.33$/month)
Number of servers: 3339+ | Server locations: 36 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 5
Private Internet Access service provides you unbeatable internet security and privacy. It is due to its sustainable and specialized security barrier based on several layers. Hence, For an end to end protection with its amazing features. That includes; Anonymous IP, high-grade encryption. That is based on cryptographically secure Blowfish CBC algorithm.
- Zero VPN Traffic Logs
- Encrypted Wi-Fi Protection
- Offers all Protocols PPTP, OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec including SOCKS5 Proxy
- 7-days Money-Back Guarantee
- IPv6 Leak Protection & DNS Leak Protection
- The Internet Kill Switch
- P2P file sharing & VoIP Support
- Support for VPN router including DD-WRT Tomato & PfSense
- Speed Test options for all Servers
Avail 67% Discount
#5 Ivacy (2.25$/month)
Number of servers: 450+ | Server locations: 100+ | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 5
Ivacy VPN was established in 2007 and gained popularity. It is due to its dedication towards providing outstanding and unique security and privacy features. Hence, when in 2010 it launched Split Tunneling feature. It became the first VPN company to provide such VPN feature.
- 100% Private & Anonymous internet Surfing
- High-end 256-bit Encryption for Optimum Privacy Shelter
- Automatic VPN Security over public Wi-Fi networks
- Convenient & Fast access to Restricted or blocked content
- OpenVPN (TCP, UDP), L2TP-IPsec, and PPTP protocols
- 7-days Money-back guarantee
- Dedicated Apps available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and more
Avail 77% Discount
Conclusion- Best VPN for Kindle Fire
For Kindle Fire users who wish to get the most out of their Kindle Fire device, a VPN can help by both proffering you access to more foreign content (especially when you’re traveling) and by keeping your device and your data secure. Or, you can always manually configure your VPN or install software onto your router to protect your device when there isn’t an app available.