5 Best DD-WRT VPN Service Providers– If you are not aware of what DD-WRT is then, this article can be a great help for you to know about DD-WRT. It is an open source firmware that is designed for broadband routers. It is the most preferred route for it has a user-friendly interface, and it is compatible with VPN connection.
What is a DD-WRT VPN Service?
Virtual Private Network or VPN is an encrypted network that allows you to bypass the geo-restriction and unblock the blocked websites. The purpose of using VPN client on DD-WRT routers is extra. It allows you to connect multiple devices simultaneously with just one VPN account. However, you can change your home router into DD-WRT by flashing the firmware with an open source firmware. The great thing is that it is not at all tricky. For doing so, you will not need to be highly technically skilled. You just need to have the basic know-how of computer and should possess the quality of following steps promptly that will be provided by your VPN service provider.
Additionally, there is another easy way, and that is to get a pre-configured DD-WRT router that is now offered by many VPN services. The popularity of DD-WRT router has now touched the clouds that are why most of the VPN services are offering pre-configured routers or some are giving a complete guide to flash the conventional router with DD-WRT routers. Before you select a VPN service for DD-WRT router, you will have to keep one thing in your mind that smart shoppers always do research and check market before purchasing. Here we have accumulated five best DD-WRT VPN Service Providers after a long session of research and tests. You can choose any one VPN service out of these listed VPN services according to your preference.
5 Best DD-WRT VPN
#1 NordVPN (2.99$/month)
Number of servers: 3500+ | Server locations: 60+ | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 6
NordVPN is a Panama based VPN service provider. Hence, it is free of the U.S and the European countries jurisdictions. Due to it, the users can enjoy anonymous networking with its No Log Policy. Double encryption, a variety of protocol support, excellent customer support makes it one of the best VPN in the market. Most noteworthy, the pricing plans are quiet on the nominal side and worth the services provided.
- Six simultaneous connections
- A variety of platform support
- Double encryption for added security
- Excellent customer support
- Automatic kill switch
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 3-Day free trial
- Unique selling proposition is that it offers hassle-free installation even for new users
Avail 75% Discount
#2 ExpressVPN (8.32$/month)
Number of servers: 1800+ | Server locations: 148 | IP addresses: 30,000 | Maximum devices supported: 3
ExpressVPN has become the market leader in the VPN industry. With its supreme quality VPN performance during past seven years. Therefore, it attracted and retained millions of users and enhanced customer loyalty. All due to services that are beyond comparison. That is the reason it sits at the top position in our VPN table. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands. Which keeps it away from the Data Retention policies enforced by NSA, GCHQ.
- Unlimited Bandwidth with Ultra Speed
- Dedicated VPN Apps for Android & iOS
- Provides all VPN protocols OpenVPN (TCP, UDP), L2TP-IPsec, SSTP, and PPTP
- High-End Security with OpenVPN 256-bits
- Zero log keeping policy of internet activities
- 30-Days Money-Back Guarantee
- 3 Simultaneous-login Option
- Dedicated VPN App for Router
Avail 35% Discount
#3 Surfshark VPN (1.99$/month)
Number of servers: 500+ | Server locations: 50 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: Unlimited
Surfshark VPN is ahead of the curve in technological advancement. Surfshark VPN will ensure online privacy for your whole family – simple and intuitive on the outside with a robust security mechanism inside.
- No Logging Policy
- 500 Plus Servers Spread in over 50 Countries
- 24 x 7 Customer Service Support
- P2P Torrenting Support Available
- AES 256-Bit Network Encryption
- Comes with Zero Logging Policy
- Chrome Extension Available
- Kill-Switch functionality
Avail 83% Discount
#4 Private Internet Access (3.49$/month)
Number of servers: 3339+ | Server locations: 36 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 5
Private Internet Access service provides you unbeatable internet security and privacy. It is due to its sustainable and specialized security barrier based on several layers. Hence, For an end to end protection with its amazing features. That includes; Anonymous IP, high-grade encryption. That is based on cryptographically secure Blowfish CBC algorithm.
- Zero VPN Traffic Logs
- Encrypted Wi-Fi Protection
- Offers all Protocols PPTP, OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec including SOCKS5 Proxy
- 7-days Money-Back Guarantee
- IPv6 Leak Protection & DNS Leak Protection
- The Internet Kill Switch
- P2P file sharing & VoIP Support
- Support for VPN router including DD-WRT Tomato & PfSense
- Speed Test options for all Servers
Avail 65% Discount
#5 Ivacy (2.25$/month)
Number of servers: 450+ | Server locations: 100+ | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 5
Ivacy VPN was established in 2007 and gained popularity. It is due to its dedication towards providing outstanding and unique security and privacy features. Hence, when in 2010 it launched Split Tunneling feature. It became the first VPN company to provide such VPN feature.
- 100% Private & Anonymous internet Surfing
- High-end 256-bit Encryption for Optimum Privacy Shelter
- Automatic VPN Security over public Wi-Fi networks
- Convenient & Fast access to Restricted or blocked content
- OpenVPN (TCP, UDP), L2TP-IPsec, and PPTP protocols
- 7-days Money-back guarantee
- Dedicated Apps available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and more
Avail 77% Discount
How to Get a DD-WRT Router?
We have already discussed above that what is DD-WRT and why they are trending nowadays. Now here an important question arises that how to get these routers. There are several ways of getting DD-WRT routers. The most preferred and cheap method is to change your standard router into DD-WRT router by replacing the firmware with an open source firmware which is called flashing. You can quickly flash your router and make it a DD-WRT router even if you are not very much technically proficient. You may seek the help of your VPN service provider and can follow the steps given to you by your service provider ( best DD-WRT VPN service providers give complete guidance of configuration), or you can get it done as well by service providers like FlashRouters. Moreover, you can also purchase a pre-configured DD-WRT Router.
This will save you from getting into the hassle of configuration, and it will save your time as well. You just have to plug in this router and start using it in no time. DD-WRT Routers are highly in demand, and this is the reason many of the VPN service providers now offer a DD-WRT Router in their package. You can find those VPN service providers on the list of the best DD-WRT VPN service provider.
Why is DD-WRT Router important for a VPN?
There is no wonder how useful the VPN is and all of us are aware of the importance of VPN for a user whether it is used in the corporate sector or at home, none of these can deny its worth. When it comes to computer networking or if you want to use VPN on all the devices at your home or all the computers in your office. The best thing to do is to use a DD-WRT Router, as it is the most compatible with the VPN client. It can be the host device in which VPN client will be installed, and you can use VPN services in all your connected devices either at home or in the office that means all your devices can use the safe and encrypted internet and can circumvent the censorship and geo-restriction imposed by the government of your country. Read further, how to unblock geo-restricted sites from anywhere in the world.
How to Set Up DD-WRT on a VPN using OpenVPN?
You need to follow the steps below to set up DD-WRT on a VPN using OpenVPN.
- First of all, you need to ensure whether the version of your DD-WRT supports OpenVPN, mostly it does.
- Sign up your VPN service provider’s website and get a manual configuration setup.
- This manual configuration set is consist of an archive of OpenVPN, login details and server DNS name list.
- Once you are done with configuring your router for ISB, all the other thing will depend on how you want to set it.
- Now click Services > VPN, you will have to fill the following information in this section.
- Server IP and DNS name that you will choose from the list provided in the set.
- Port and Protocol, this can range from 1194 udp (ovpn default) or 443 udp, 22 udp, 80 tcp.
- Tunnel device (preferably TUN)
- Encryption Cipher (preferably Blowfish CBC)
- Hash Algorithm (preferably SHA1)
- Advanced Option (Enable)
- Use LZO Compression (Enable)
- Enable NAT
- TLS Cipher (TLS-RSA-WITH-AES-128-CBC-SHA)
- Once you are done with all of the above steps, click Apply Settings Button.
- To resolve DNS issues, you need to go to Setup > Basic Setup > Network Setup > Static DNS1 and 2.
Benefits of Using a VPN on DD-WRT Router
This Linux-based firmware DD-WRT has increasingly become so popular that many VPN service providers offer DD-WRT router. The reason why it has become so popular is that it is easy to configure and it is cost effective. It is also one of those rare routers that support VPN client and those that do it those routers are pricey and not equally amazing as DD-WRT routers are. Additionally, it enables you to set up a watchdog monitoring system, and you can also add specific bandwidth to spark up your gaming experience. These cool features of DD-WRT routers attract the users the most.
Conclusion- Best DD-WRT VPN Service Providers
To sum up all this, we can say that DD-WRT routers are the best for VPN clients. The list of five best DD-WRT VPN services provider that we have compiled for you will be very useful for you when choosing the DD-WRT VPN you can go through these five DD-WRT VPN service provider and make your decision accordingly.