Sony has not limited PS4 to a gaming console only, instead it is a lot more than a gaming device now. This smash-hit of Sony is all wrap in one pack that entertains not only the gamers but also the on-demand entertainment seekers with its ability to stream video, playing music and allowing the users to get their hands on the web browsing while using this masterpiece of gaming console powered by Sony. Undoubtedly, the access of leading streaming video services like Netflix, Hulu ( see best VPN for Hulu), iPlayer, HBO, etc. has added stars to the charm of this already perfection gaming consoles. Sony Playstation is a great platform for all the gamers out there to connect to its network and be on the online battlefield of gaming with alluring features of PS3 and PS4 amid Netflix and other on-demand streaming and music services. But as everything related to networking needs to be protected against malicious attacks and PSN hacks, Sony consoles are also in need to be shielded from such threats. The potential tool that can safeguard your Sony consoles is a VPN for PS3 and PS4. In this article, we aim to guide you on how to setup a VPN for PS3 and PS4, how to choose it and why you need it. Read on to know further about the topic.
Why Do You Need To Use VPN For PS3 and PS4
You may need a VPN for PS3 and PS4 for numerous reasons. It could be used to circumvent the geo-restriction and access the blocked games, to get your hands on those latest versions of games which have not been launched in your region yet. To feel protected while gaming, kill the fear of data hacks over the network of PS. Since it is the online gaming console, it carries its threats that every online service does. The most grave out of all threat is the security concerns and the data breach. So in order to make yourself free from the fear of getting your data hacked you should rely on a VPN for PS3 and PS4. Moreover, it can be safe your from being the victim of DDoS attacks which are very common in the world of online gaming. Thus, nothing online is secure from attackers; all the PS users must consider using VPN for Sony consoles to better ensure their online security with some extra benefits like being privileged of playing the newest version of the game that is not played by your friends because they are regionally blocked.
Top 5 VPNs for Sony Consoles
From the series of experiments and trials, we have reached out a result that consists of five leading VPNs that have been proved best for PS3 and PS4 users. The research has been conducted to test the speed issues and lags, ping downsizing, server locations, bandwidth and the overview of gaming experience. Following are the five leading VPN for PS3 and PS4 based on our trails and experiments.
5 Best VPN for PS3 and PS4
Setup VPN on PS3 And PS4
There are three ways for the gamers to set up the VPN for PS3 and PS4 with no as such complexity. We have tried to put these ways into simplest words to help you understand better on how to setup a VPN for Sony consoles. Choose any of the following three methods that best suits your need and feasibility. Here we go:
How To Set Up a PS4 VPN on Windows
Following is the step by step guide on setting up VPN for PS3 and PS4 on Windows. (also see best VPN for Windows)
- First of all, choose the right VPN from the above-mentioned list of top 5 VPNs for Sony consoles and download that VPN from the website on your PC.
- Now open VPN software, choose any US server and connect the VPN.
- You will likely need an ethernet cable to connect PS3 or PS4 to your computer.
- Access Control Panel of your computer and click Network Sharing Center.
- Choose Change Adapter Setting from the left sided pane of the window.
- Then an icon of your preferred VPN would be shown, right click on it and go to its properties.
- Now when the properties window is all in front of you, click the sharing tab and mark check in the first option that says “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.”
- Now move to Home Networking Connection and choose that connection which you are going to share with your Sony Console and click Ok.
- Now here comes the turn of making changes in the settings of PS device. Go to XMB menu of PS3 or PS4 and move to Settings>Network Settings>Set Up Internet Connection.
- Select Use a Lan cable and ensure to pick the connection method Easy.
- Then, choose Do not Use Proxy Server, whenever asked.
- Lastly go forward and accept all the settings coming in your way and at last choose Test Connection and then you will be done with setting up VPN for PS3 and PS4.
Apart from Windows, gamers can also set up VPN for PS via their Mac device. All they need to do is to follow the following steps. (check best VPN for Mac)
- Choose and download a test VPN for PS3 and PS4 on your Mac laptop.
- Then again, a crossover cable is needed to connect your PS device and Mac.
- Access System Preference>Sharing.
- Choose Internet Sharing from the Sharing Window.
- There will be a drop-down menu “Share Your Connection From” and choose the source by which you are sharing the connection like Ethernet, wireless or Airport.
- Mark the checkbox of enabling besides Internet Sharing.
- This turn your Internet Sharing icon into green the sharing will begin.
- Connect VPN with any desired server location
- The settings of PS device will be same as done in Windows. After finishing those settings, your VPN for PS3 and PS4 will be activated.
Via Wifi Router
There is also another way of setting up VPN for PS3 and PS4 in addition to via Windows and Mac, and that is through wifi-routers. But in that case, you will have to make sure that the provider you choose must support wifi-router connectivity. Following are the steps to follow in order to setup VPN for PS3 and PS4.
- Head to XMB menu from your PS3 and PS4 device and move through Settings>Network Settings>Set Up Internet Connection.
- Select Use Wifi when asked.
- Choose connection method to be Easy when asked.
- Choose your wireless internet connection and type in your credentials.
- Don’t forget to click Do not Use Server Proxy.
- Accept all setting and hit the click on Test connection.
Use VPN for Netflix On PS3
Since the Playstation app store appended the app of Netflix, this PS has become more of entertainment console than the gaming console. In short, it worked as a cherry on the top of the already delicious cake, Sony Playstation. You can get your hands on the app from the Playstore and download it to access Netflix video streaming from across the world. But the original US content will be region locked and only available in the US. Here you will have a dire need to use a US VPN to access the US content of Netflix from anywhere. If you are using PS3 or PS4 specifically for Netflix streaming, then you should setup the VPN for PS3 and PS4 through your router so that your VPN remains connected round the clock. (check out best best VPN for Netflix)
How to Select the Right VPN for Sony Consoles
Following are the factors that should be considered in order to choose the right VPN for PS3 and PS4. (also see VPN buying guide)
- Server location
It is important to ensure that how many server locations your VPN is offering you, opt for the VPN that offers you the maximum server locations so that you can get your hands on all the latest games launched anywhere across the globe by switching your IP with the desired location IP.
- Support Service Round A Clock
Whenever you come across any peril, you will always look up to your provider’s support service. But what if this service is not available round the clock in all the days of the year. So you should always go for that VPN which offers its customers support service throughout the year and 24 hours a day.
- VPN Tutorials
The best VPN for PS3 and PS4 always comes with tested guides and tutorials of configuration so that the users would get the help if they stuck in any of the steps. These tutorials are useful for the intermediate and advanced users of PS3 or PS4 who can do the configurations themselves with the help of such guides.
- DDoS Protection
VPN for PS3 and PS4 is the best solution for protecting your PS network from DDoS attacks that are likely to target the network while gamers heat up the competition of online gaming. (see how a VPN provide DDoS protection) In order to be prevented from such attack, you are recommended to use Dedicated IP VPN providers.
- Connection Speed and Bandwidth
When it comes to online gaming, the connection just can not be compromised. The VPN with slow speed and limited bandwidth will work with online gaming and can spoil your gaming experience. So make sure you choose that VPN which does not throttle and does not have the bandwidth limit.
On this note, our guide for setting up VPN for PS3 and PS4 comes to an end with a hope that you would seek help from it and would be able to configure VPN for Sony consoles all by yourself.